About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Wednesday 24 June 2009

Chemo Number 4...The Knock Out

If I was fighting against chemo in a boxing match, I'd have a ref counting from 1-10 as I lay on the floor.

Chemo 4 was a knock out, I was completly wacked!

It didn't help that my mum couldn't take care of me. She'd been in London all week visiting my sister and my poor little niece got scarlet fever whilst my mum was there which meant my mum couldn't come near me for 4 days after returning. So my friends came in shifts to take care of me which was fun although I mainly slept all the way through it.

My mum would come to visit me by standing a few metres away from the front door outside and I'd be standing a few metres away from the front door inside and we'd chat, it made me cry one day cause I just wanted to hug my mum. Father's Day was the worst, my mum and dad came to visit and again stood in the street (at this point my dad was also at risk of being a carrier of the fever) and when they left I felt so upset that I couldn't even give my dad a Father's Day hug :-(

I think that people who come through chemo should get a medal, or maybe a knighthood. Or even better, a few letters after their name! I'd be 'Katherine Bown IBDI'. Only those who have experienced it can truly understand how gruelling it is, and to come to the end of it must be an amazing feeling, I can't wait to finish and hope that I never have to go through it again, I don't think I'd have the strength.

By the way, the fancy letters at the end of my name stands for 'I Bloody Did It'. I really think that I'll feel a sense of achievement when I finish chemo. I've never climbed Everest, ran a marathon or wrestled crocodiles, but getting through chemo.... to me that's going to be the greatest achievement in my life and I'm going to be proud of myself for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment