About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Tuesday 29 September 2009

Radiotherapy

Radiotherapy isn't too bad, you can't feel anything except the embarrassement of being half naked and having 2 nurses moving you to line up the tatoos on your chest (the first week it was two 20-something male nurses which I hated "stop being so tense" one said to me! How could I not be tense being half naked with people peering over my breasts!).

Anyway, 3 weeks of radiotherapy was like living in groundhog day. Every day was the same however I did start going to work for a few hours each day which was great. Plus I was lucky to not have had any side effects that come with radiotherapy that include burning and skin breaking. And during this therapy, my hair started to grow which was a welcomed relief!

The last day of radiotherapy was monday 21st Sept and it couldn't have come quick enough. As I drove home I started to cry and by the time I'd gotten to work I was inconsolable so I sat in my car and sobbed. I wasn't sure if it was relief that all of my treatment was over but when I texted a work collegue to come to the car park and bring tissues, I admitted what I was really feeling...

I'd spent so long pretending I was fine, and if I did have tears, I could blame it on the treatment making me ill. But now there was no more treatment, I had no excuse for my tears and I couldn't put on 'Fake katherine' of being bubbly and cheerful when inside I was a mess. I couldn't face getting out of the car and seeing people, I just wanted to go home and sob... so I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment