About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Tuesday 29 September 2009

Spoke too soon...

...well I didn't expect to get side effects from radiotherapy after it'd finished... but I did... and I still have, and bloody hell, it's painful.

It started on Friday where my armpit was getting a little sore, Saturday the skin changed colour and by Sunday I was in agony. I couldn't move my arm as it was too painful and when I looked at the skin I felt a flush of shock as it looked so bad.

Yesterday morning I woke up nauseous and started to be sick so I rang the hospital to get myself checked out.

Apparently this is normal, the side effects of burning and pain is a usual reaction!

Oh.

My.

God!

I've never been burnt by an iron but I can only describe it looking like I have been, my skin is burgandy and lumpy and it's unbelievably painful. I'm not able to sleep as i'm a 'toss and turner' in my sleep so as I try to turn over I feel the pain as my skin rubs together under my armpit.

This time last week I thought my treatment was all over and I could move forward, but today i'm feeling worse than any part of these horrendous few months. Chemo, was no problem compared to this.

This, the final hurdle of cancer treatment is the worst and by far the most horrific but it is the final hurdle, so I just have to ride it out....

No comments:

Post a Comment