About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Tuesday 29 September 2009

Venice!

Well, I must be the only person in the world that didn't realise there are no roads in Venice, only bloody water!

My husband and I went to Venice for a few days after my birthday which we booked a whilst back to mark the end of chemotherapy. When we arrived it was about 10.30pm at night and we caught a water taxi to St. Marks Square where out hotel was located. But what we didn't expect was to be stuck in the middle of a square with a map of roads and bridges but all the smaller roads weren't listed, including our hotel's road. So there we were in the middle of a square not sure which direction to go and both of us spinning in circles wondering what to do... and then phew, luckily my husband had an iphone which has a satnav and we were able to follow the cobbled streets to our hotel.

The next morning we woke up with a plan to tour the city and as we walked along the streets, stopping for coffee and ice-cream along the way, I noticed that there were no roads, no cars, no taxis! This was when my husband told me that Venice is purely canals, cobbled streets and bridges! What! Well I knew there were canals and that the best way to travel was in a gondola but seriously, not 1 road! So we'd walked for hours and hours in the heat and we had no option but to walk the whole way back!



Now remember I'd not long finished chemo, and I got tired very quickly, plus I had no hair, so I was wearing a cap and hat which was boiling! And to make matters worse, my eyebrows were so thin that I nothing to stop the sweat dripping into my eyes and finally when I sneezed and my false lashes stuck together... I knew we had to change our flights and come home early.



Venice is a beautiful place, but not the place to go after chemo, maybe a relaxing holiday was what I needed, but only once I'd finished radiotherapy that was due in a few days time...

No comments:

Post a Comment