About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Sunday 19 July 2009

Chemo Number 5... Eat, Eat & Eat Some More...

Hoo-rah!

Chemo 5 down, phew. It's been a toughie...

After a fantastic weekend at the West Walian Wedding I was ready for a week on the sofa of vegging in a chemo coma. But by day 3, I was feeling fine. I had chemo Monday morning and on Wednesday afternoon I was eating a burger in Cardiff Bay looking forward to going to the cinema. That's the first time ever I've been able to leave the house 2 days after chemo. I did fall asleep in the cinema which couldn't have been fun for the hub but to venture out in chemo coma week was exciting! I felt as though I'd mastered it; chemo wasn't going to effect me anymore and the ball was happily in my court....

then on Thursday morning, about 4am, I woke up... starving.

I was so hungry that I felt myself getting angry that I needed to eat.

My chemo nurse told me months ago that she'd had patients that got ravenous from the steroids and had to raid the fridge but I'd not had anything like that...until now.

I lasted for 2 hours in bed tossing and turning as my stomach called out for food, and at 6am I gave in... and made pasta.

That was the start of my insatiable appetite to just eat and eat and eat. And this was followed by sleep and sleep and sleep.

All I've done since Thursday morning is eat... and sleep. I've been totally zonked on the sofa snoozing and then waking up to stuff my face. It's not been pleasant.

But its Sunday today, and its over. I think I feel normal, a little tired, but chemo'd out.

And now... 2 weeks until the last ever chemo!!!

And whatever weird tastes, feelings or illness it brings me, i'll accept it glady... as its the last EVER chemo... wurhoo!

1 comment: