About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Wednesday 1 July 2009

It's Me!

Okay let's go back to last year.....

I went through a phase of buying the same gift for nearly every female birthday last year... a Chanel mirror compact (I truly believe every woman should have one in her handbag!). And each time I'd go to Debenhams to buy one, the Chanel counter was empty and a lovely lady from Clarins would come over to serve me and gift wrap the compact. We struck up a few conversations and I told her about getting married and she suggested some Clarins creams for me as she gift wrapped my purchase. And I went in there so many times that when she saw me coming into the store she'd ask 'Who's birthday is it this time?'.

Anyway, my friend Cerys has just finished chemo and I thought I'd buy her a Chanel compact as a gift so this week I nipped into town and went to Debenhams. Sure enough the Chanel counter was empty and as I hovered by the make up the same women from Clarins came over. I asked her for a gift wrapped compact and she asked if I could come back cause the Chanel lady was on lunch...she didn't recognise me... I felt really weird, but anyway I told her I came in especially so could she help me.... and she clearly didn't want to; she told me she couldn't wrap it but could put it in a bag.

I wanted to say to her 'It's me, Chanel compact girl who buys one for everyone, I got married at christmas remember...' but the words didn't come out of my mouth, she clearly had no idea who this woman 'in a scarf and cap' with 'no make-up on' was. And as I paid and walked away, I felt really sad.

Sorry, this really has been a depressing week for blog posts, but I can only get it out of my head if I write it down. I'm going to wait until I'm well and my hair grows back and I'm going to trot into Debenhams and buy myself a Chanel compact and see if she recognises me again, looking normal.

If she doesn't recognise me, I think i'll feel better.

1 comment:

  1. JUST KEEP TAKING IT DAY BY DAY KATH,DON'T EVER GIVE UP NOT THINKING YOU CAN BEAT THIS MONSTER, STILL THINKING OF YOU AND WISHING YOU TO GET WELL AND OVER IT SOON, LOVE ANN-MARIE X

    ReplyDelete