About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Wednesday 15 April 2009

Getting Ready for Chemo...

I think the worry of chemo has brought on this virus.

Quite unattractively, I have more sores on my face and my lips feel really swollen (although I've always been paranoid that my top lip is a little thin so I am secretly enjoying the feeling of poofey lips!).

I had a trip to the dentist this morning so that I can have my teeth cleaned and injected with antibacterial fluid, it's to stop my gums getting infected during chemo when my immune system will be on the floor, so any more infections are just going to have to wait. I did feel a bit embarrassed that the dentist had to work around my cold sores, I'm sure I saw her wince when she looked closely into my mouth :-O

Also in my plans for getting ready for chemo, the hub is taking the afternoon off work tomorrow to clean our house top to bottom and get rid of every last bit of dust and woolice stuck in the corners of our carpet (why do woodlice go there to die?!) plus change the bedding and clean all our towels.

Meanwhile, my task for tomorrow is to get my nails done as instructed by my sister who bought me a french manicure for every chemo session; she insisted that its going to help me feel better during and after the horrible drugs. She also insists that I wear make up and dress nicely for the occasion...so I will. In fact I'll probably be the most glamorous patient the chemo nurse has ever seen and I will feel a little silly but I know my sister is right; wearing PJ's and no make-up is going to make me feel rubbish before the chemo gets a chance!

I also have to get it out of my head that its going to be a horrible experience. I'm really scared, chemo breaks all the rules that Mother Nature created, it just seems so wrong. I have visions of me lying in bed feeling sick and aching and not being able to do anything, I just hope that's not the case and it's not too bad. I just need to get this first session out of the way and hopefully I'll sail through it.

My cold cap arrives tomorrow, I'll wear it when I write my next blog post. I imagine its going to look like the ice-cube bags but with a strap to tie it up under your chin! If it's really naff, I'll take a pic and post it on here!

Oh and the biggie re: my prep for chemo... is getting my hair cut off again, this time really short, that's tomorrow too....

No comments:

Post a Comment