About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Thursday 2 April 2009

2 Weeks Left of Normality

It's so surreal, I'm going to have chemotherapy.

Cancer has to be the weirdest experience of my life, well I so hope anyway. It catches me every now and then that I'm fighting against it.

Yes I can say the 'C' word today.

My emotions are up and down; one day I'm in self pity and I'm a snappy annoying whinger and I can't say Cancer as it makes me want to light sabre everyone's head off, and other days, like today, I don't care.

So yesterday was my chemotherapy consultation meeting. And after discussing it for over an hour, I decided to have the chemotherapy sessions at home. At first I thought it would be too weird having it at home; it's so intrusive bringing those toxic chemicals into our house, but then being told the length of the waiting list for chemo at the hospital, and the time it takes to have blood tests...then wait for the results, then having the results...then waiting for the chemo... takes hours! And by having it at home, it should be all over and done with in about an hour, and I can start in a few weeks.

So again, thank god for private health care for giving me that option!

Basically, that means that I have 2 weeks left of normality until 2014! - from the moment I start chemo for 18 weeks, and then radiotherapy for a few weeks and then 5 years of popping pills... I'll be fighting cancer.

But today, and over the next 2 weeks, I'm just me; no fighting against anything, no sickness and fatigue (apart from the 4 days left of these blimin antobiotics!), no hospital meetings...oh and enjoying a full head of hair!!

No comments:

Post a Comment