About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Sunday 26 April 2009

The First 'Gathering'

The wedding was amazing! We had a bit of a nightmare in the morning an hour before we were due to leave... when I realised that there was a black tie dress code and that my husband didn't have a tux... oops.... so at 8.30am he whizzed into Cardiff and bought one! Amazing how men can just do that; no fuss, it fits, lets go!

But anyway, we made it to West Wales on time to witness a wonderful ceremony and I was really moved when the priest announced that the bride and groom wanted to do a collection for a charity close to their hearts...my million pounds challenge! And in the 3 minutes it took the choir to sing a lovely song and the ushers to collect the donations, the wedding guests had raised £368.65!!

I did feel a little paranoid that people were looking at me and wondering if I was the one with cancer, but that's something i'll always feel. This wedding was the first 'gathering' i'd been to since i was diagnosed and although i was very excited about going, i did wonder if the big flickering C would be over my head all day. I used to be 'Kath who's got urbantraffic.co.uk' then it was 'Kath who's marrying Chewy (the hub's nickname!)' and now i'm 'Kath, the one who's got cancer' and i hate that. I don't ever think it'll every go away. I'll soon be know as 'Kath the one who had cancer' and that'll be with me for life.

But anyway, at least i made it there, i did need a rest halfway through the day; my body was just so fatigued that i could've dropped my face in the cheesecake and slept right there at the table! So after a 2 hour rest i got out of bed, dressed again and partied till the early hours :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment