About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Friday 1 May 2009

Losing my Head

Ok well not my head, but my hair!

Last night I was at my friend Jo's catching up with news whilst her fiance cooked us a fabulous meal. Throughout the evening I felt a weird sensation in my head; ladies you know when you've been wearing a ponytail and then you release your hair and you have that 'tight' feeling, it's exactly that!. My hair is super short (in fact its so short that I've named myself 'Pedro' as without make-up I look like a Spanish boy!) so I knew instantly that it was the right sensation for my hair to fall out and it felt bloody scary.

So when I got home, I told the hub and we lay in bed chatting about how i'd look without hair and how worried I am about losing my eyebrows and lashes. When we were so zonked that I went to go and turn off the light, I looked at my pillow and there it was, my 4cm strands of hair on the pillow. I was shocked at how quickly it fell out. And as I tried to get to sleep I couldn't find a comfortable position to lay in because my head was so uncomfortable.

This morning when I woke up, I expected to find my whole head of hair on the pillow and I'd look in the mirror and collapse in tears...but when I looked at the pillow, there was 1 strand of hair! Hurrah, I still looked normal!

So today I'm getting a train to Bristol and am going wig shopping with my cousin Chris. He'll be brutally honest with me if I try something on, love it and really look like a man in drag. So i'm excited to go, am just waiting for my train and hopefully I'll return with a fabulous wig that I can wear tomorrow evening at a friends 'oriental' hen do. If not then I'll just have to have a bandana in my handbag incase my hair decides to fall out over my Dim Sum!

No comments:

Post a Comment