About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Friday 15 May 2009

Chemo Number 2.... Check!

Am back.

Chemo number 2 was a weird one. No sickness, phew. I just felt like I'd swam the Bristol Channel, and drank it! I was exhausted, too exhausted to get up; my arms ached, I felt dizzy going upstairs and my mouth tasted of sea water. But no sickness, and I am grateful for that.

My hair is still falling out although its shaven so it's little bits. And the tips from my chemo nurse;

1. Put a silky nightie on your pillow so that my head won't get sore when sleeping. Genius!
2. Get some rosemary oil and a carrier oil (preferrably grapeseed but you can use baby oil or even olive oil) and rub it on your head to stop it getting dry. Double Genius!

Those with culinary skills know that olive oil and rosemary is a good rub for roast lamb...so if you don't have any grapeseed or baby oil and you rub olive oil in your head along with the rosemary oil... you end up smelling like roast lamb... and that's how I smelt... for 2 days!

And i did have tears one morning when I woke up; I looked in the mirror and my face was so dry from the chemo, my lips were cracked, I had a shaven head with patches of baldness and my face was swollen from the steroids...I didn't recognise myself anymore. It was frightening.

But remembering what my sister said... "a bit of make-up" and that's what I did, and I felt so much better!

Anyway, am through the 2nd chemo. And next week I'm going on a relaxing holiday with 4 of my friends for the long bank holiday weekend... when I'm back... chemo number 3..... but it won't be so bad... I won't look so ill with a suntan!

No comments:

Post a Comment