About Me

My name is Katherine Bown (maiden: Formosa) and on 23rd February ‘09, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my story, my diary, which I hope will be support to those who are battling breast cancer or those waiting for their biposy results that are eager to find out more…

And to my friends and family, I thank you all for you continuous support and sometimes when I’m in hibernation and don’t feel like talking, this is a great way to keep you all up-to-date with my news.

For those who don't know me, I’m 33 years old, I live in Cardiff and I recently got married. I run a website, www.urbantraffic.co.uk and I also work part-time as a Communications Manager.

Tuesday 3 March 2009

The Power of Facebook

Ok, so every day when I get home from work and I turn on my phone, 100 squillion texts come flooding in of support, from all the weird and wonderful people in my life.

And yesterday evening after work, at 7.45pm my poor hub looked at me with that 'when are we going to start to make dinner' face when i realised that i'd spent the past few hours replying to text messages! So we rustled something up in the kitchen with me chopping with one hand and still texting in the other and then i ate my food whilst typing on my laptop replying to emails on facebook. By the time i'd gotten to bed i'd realised that i'd not even had a conversation with my husband all evening!

So today i thought that i couldn't physically keep up with everyone's amazing messages. So i decided to email all of my facebook friends with the link to this blog and also set up a group where my hub and some friends could update news and send info for fundraising; my friend Natalie couldn't sleep the night I was diagnosed and told me that she wanted to do something, so she's organising a race for life for me, geez i do feel very honoured! So what a perfect way of doing it, by the power of a facebook group.

So i did it, i created a facebook group and sent it to all of my friends, about 6pm this evening and then logged off. I've just logged in to find more amazing messages and emails from people i've not seen in years, come flooding in. Its given me a grin from ear to ear, the feeling is unbelievable.

If you're at any stage of cancer, i.e. waiting to get results, going for your operation or at the treatment stage, I urge you to let every person you care about know that you're going through it, because hearing from a school friend that you've not seen in over 15 years sending you hope and wishes or people you met on holiday who you 'vowed to keep in touch with but never did' and then they send you a text to wish you well and offer you a weekend retreat, is bloody amazing!!

The feeling is overwhelming and it's weirdly given me a super-power strength to get through this.

I love it. I'm definitely doing the weekend in Manchester, the girlie weekend in the sticks, the caravan in west wales. I want to get better from my operation to make sure that I do. Oh yeah, today I got my appointment date, 11th March. See, i'm so excited about my facebook experience that i've not even thought or worried about my operation...

No comments:

Post a Comment